MOTU 828 MK3, 896 MK3, TRACK 16, TRAVELER MK3, ULTRALITE MK3, V4HD
The Paca(rana) works with MOTU Hybrid interfaces via FireWire only, not USB.
If you plan to alternate between using the MOTU as your computer’s audio I/O and using it as the Paca(rana) I/O, please see these instructions. Only one computer (either your host computer or the Pacarana computer) can talk to the MOTU at any one time.
To use your MOTU exclusively with the Paca(rana), please do not install the MOTU driver and other MOTU software. If you have already installed the driver, remove the software using the uninstall option in the MOTU installer.
Reset the settings
Before using the MOTU interface with the Paca(rana), it is necessary to reset the interface’s settings.
- Press the VOL button momentarily to power up the interface.
- Wait for it to go through its power up sequence; at this point it should show Meter on the display.
- Press PARAM three times; it should momentarily show SETUP and then LCD Contrast.
- Rotate PARAM clockwise until the display reads Factory Defaults Push [VALUE].
- Press the VALUE button. It will display Are you sure? [VALUE].
- Press VALUE once again.
- The interface will display Initializing… and then return to the Meter display.
Note that the instructions for your interface may differ slightly from those listed above. Please visit the MOTU support page for the exact instructions.
Configure the Internal Mixer and Effects
The MOTU interface includes a built-in mixer and audio effects that can be controlled via its front panel interface. Advanced users may want to experiment with these settings to take advantage of the mixer and effects.
MOTU Interface not visible in Kyma
If the MOTU Interface is not showing up in the Audio Input or Audio Output lists in the DSP Status window, it may be that the computer has taken control of the MOTU and will not let the Paca(rana) use it.
On the Mac, start Audio MIDI Setup (found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and make sure that the MOTU is not set to be the Mac’s audio input or output device.
On Windows, start the Device Manager and make sure that the MOTU driver is disabled.
Setting up Track16 Optical I/O
Special thanks to Knut Kaulke for the following tip!
- Install MOTU’s Audio Driver
- Open MOTU Audio Setup and select ADAT Optical for Optical Input and Optical Output. Pictured above.
- If you plan to alternate between using the MOTU as your computer’s audio I/O and using it as the Paca(rana) I/O, please see these instructions. Otherwise, you should remove the installed MOTU software from the following folders:
MOTU Audio Setup.app
MOTU PCI Audio Setup.app
MOTU PCI SMPTE Setup.app
MOTU SMPTE Setup.app
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/:
Motu MIDI Driver.plugin
Motu MIDI Driver.kext
Motu MIDI Driver.kext
MOTU FireWire Console.prefs
Macintosh HD/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/MOTU/: