Home Forums Tips & Techniques If I knew then what I know now. . .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SSC
    Keymaster

Now that you’ve fully mastered Kyma 7, what advice would you give to someone who is just starting to learn Kyma? What were some of the breakthroughs you had that made it all suddenly make sense? How did you teach yourself Kyma and would you do it any differently if you were to start again today?

kymaguy
      Participant

The greatest advice I got from Pete at KISS2013. Back then I had Kyma for a month and pretty much didn’t know my way around. He told me: “Put a bookmark on the CapyTalk Quick Reference (p.369) in Kyma X Revealed, all you need is basically in there.”

That really helped in the beginning. Now, with Kyma 7, you can just open the CapyTalk reference (Command-H) and use the search function! I really recommend doing so – thanks Pete!

Other advices:

– Read the manuals (X and 7), you can skim over the smalltalk section (see below)

– Don’t worry too much about smalltalk in the beginning, capytalk is what you should use first. You’ll start using smalltalk on your own soon because you get tired of typing big arrays by hand. Therefore the first thing you’re going to learn in smalltalk is possibly the collect message 😊

– Stick to your problems and try to solve them on your own. The best way to learn something is to make mistakes. As Edison said: “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10000 ways that won’t work.”

– Read the descriptions of the Modules you are using, try to understand what they do.

– If you’re really stuck contact the Kyma Community (Q&A, Forum). Really got much help from there. Thanks to Pete again! Also thanks to Bruno who teached me at the beginning!

– Read the manuals again and pay attention to the smalltalk section

That’s how I learned Kyma so far, hope it’s helpful. Concerning breakthroughs: There are too many small ones to mention here, for me there wasn’t “the one breakthrough” (yet 😉) – step by step.

Best,

Gustav

p.s. There’s no way to fully master Kyma, that’s the beauty about it!

jcsveth
        Participant

When first starting back on the Capybara going through all of the ‘factory’ sounds, I would make a point to open every single one of them fully and look at each element. I then noted things I needed to look up, novel approaches, and new ideas. If I had time, I would make a point of adjusting each sound at least once to see if a change in my mind worked as expected.

Another enlightening exercise for me was to spend some time to emulate a few guitar pedals I own. This gives a direct comparison to the real world and doesn’t let you get lost on tangents (not that that is a bad thing, but… it can consume a day real fast). It also helped me learn a lot about setting up the interface and making large sounds with a lot of internal routing (as the pedals have a lot of options).

Lastly, use your system. If you made a great sound, record it – a great effect, play through it – a synthesizer, play it. Initially, I got bogged down and overwhelmed and did not feel a payoff until I actually used a few sounds on a recording. It also makes you realize what adjustments you need and drives the learning process through practical tweaking.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.