The Swiss Army Knife of Kyma Controllers
Symbolic Sound’s Kyma Control for the iPad gives sound designers, musicians, and researchers a wireless multi-touch controller for the Kyma/Paca(rana) sound design workstation.
Kyma Control bundles four of the most popular Kyma controller-types into one, wireless multi-touch package that includes:
- a multi-touch pen/tablet controller
- a labelled, auto-mapped, bi-directional mirrored controller/display of Kyma’s Virtual Control Surface
- a standard piano-style keyboard with discrete or continuous pitches and an extra dimension for !KeyTimbre control in Kyma
- a Tonnetz pitch-space keyboard for experimenting with different pitch layouts
- plus accelerometer and compass-heading controls
Kyma Control controlling Kyma X
The Kyma Control iPad app features
- Auto-mapping, bi-directional multi-touch mirroring of Kyma’s Virtual Control Surface (VCS). All of the controls you see on the computer screen are also available on the iPad screen, including the Preset selection and Roll-the-dice options.
- Pen/tablet surface tracking as many as 11 fingers with color trails to help you track finger position.
- A keyboard for sending !KeyDown and either continuous or discrete values for !KeyPitch & !KeyTimbre
- A Tonnetz pitch-space with configurable vertical and horizontal intervals
- Pitches can be rounded to equal tempered pitch, rounded only on !KeyDown and continuously variable after that, or, in Strum-mode, triggered when your finger passes by the key
- Triggers and continuous controls from the iPad’s accelerometer measurements in the X, Y, Z directions, as well as controls corresponding with Pitch, Roll and Yaw
- Compass heading from the iPad’s magnetometer tells you which way the iPad is pointing so you can use it for panning and other controls
For use in the studio, on stage, in a theatre or performance venue, in an installation, in the lab, at home, or in a classroom, Kyma Control frees you from having to sit in front of your laptop. Put yourself in the middle of the audience, inside the sound field and perform your Sounds in an expressive, intuitive manner using your hands and gestures. Performers can have access to sound controls from the stage or in the recording studio, and voice talent can have access to a silent controller in the voice-over booth. In perception and speech experiments, subjects can use a wireless, silent controller with no mechanical parts, perfect for sound-isolation booths.
- Apple iPad, iOS 5 or newer
- Symbolic Sound Kyma 7 or Kyma X (version 6.77 or newer)
- Symbolic Sound Paca(rana) Sound Computation Engine
- WiFi connection to a network that is accessible to the Paca(rana)
Pricing & Availability
Kyma Control is available from the App Store