Home Forums Tips & Techniques KymaConnect 2 BETA Support

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Knut Kaulke
    Participant

I think so too. I know what KymaConnect is and how great it helps you communicate with Kyma. Irreplaceable!
      The interesting thing about the error message of the operating system was that it was like a virus warning where you could tell Apple right away that it was malware.
      Now, if a KymaConnect user mistakenly declares the installer to be malicious during installation, does this perhaps have a negative effect on other KymaConnect installations of other users? I hope that this is not so bad.

Delora Software
      Participant

The interesting thing about the error message of the operating system was that it was like a virus warning where you could tell Apple right away that it was malware.
        Now, if a KymaConnect user mistakenly declares the installer to be malicious during installation, does this perhaps have a negative effect on other KymaConnect installations of other users? I hope that this is not so bad.

I do too! I don’t believe that is the case but have no way of proving it without risking making matters worse.

Delora Software
        Participant

BETA 5 is available from the Kyma Community Library: KymaConnect 2 BETA. All KymaConnect 2 BETA users must update immediately; Previous BETA versions, including BETA 4, no are no longer valid. Please discard previous BETA installers.

Scott Miller
          Participant

Not sure if this is new behavior with update or not. I just added an Akai MPK49 MIDI kbd controller, which is bus powered. After launching Kyma, KymaConnect doesn’t recognize MIDI transmission from it, although it does recognize that it is connected. After unplugging/replugging USB, MIDI transmission works just fine.

Also noticed that it only seems to work when connected to the right-hand side USB port on 2016 MBP, not the left-hand side port.

Delora Software
            Participant

Not sure if this is new behavior with update or not. I just added an Akai MPK49 MIDI kbd controller, which is bus powered. After launching Kyma, KymaConnect doesn’t recognize MIDI transmission from it, although it does recognize that it is connected. After unplugging/replugging USB, MIDI transmission works just fine.

When you say that KymaConnect does not recognize MIDI transmission do you mean that you do not see MIDI activity in Kyma’s DSP status window, or that KymaConnect’s activity LEDs are not showing MIDI activity?

One thing to try is to have KymaConnect stopped when you first plug it in. See if there are two entries in the MIDI port list for the MPK49.

I have seen this identical behavior in other applications, like Logic, with other class-compliant, USB-powered controllers. The controller is recognized by the software but there is no MIDI reception until it is either turned off and then back on, or unplugged and re-plugged in. I suspect this is related to a problem in macOS/CoreMidi.

Also noticed that it only seems to work when connected to the right-hand side USB port on 2016 MBP, not the left-hand side port.

Try plugging it into the left-hand port with KymaConnect not running and then inspect the available ports KymaConnect shows. See if the MPK49 is showing. Record the full name that KymaConnect is showing, if it shows up. Repeat the same experiment with the right-hand port and look for a difference between the port names.

CoreMIDI considers the same device connected in two different USB paths to be different devices. Historically KymaConnect also treated them as different devices, which meant that changing USB ports would cause a configuration to no longer work. BETA 4 added code to help this situation but there are situations which it cannot handle. I discuss this in more detail in the BETA 4 release comments in this forum message: https://kyma.symbolicsound.com/forums/topic/kymaconnect-2-0-beta/#post-1897

The last paragraph may be what you are experiencing with your left/right USB ports.

Scott Miller
              Participant

When you say that KymaConnect does not recognize MIDI transmission do you mean that you do not see MIDI activity in Kyma’s DSP status window, or that KymaConnect’s activity LEDs are not showing MIDI activity?

No MIDI activity in Kyma DSP and no MIDI activity lighting up KymaConnect screen.

One thing to try is to have KymaConnect stopped when you first plug it in. See if there are two entries in the MIDI port list for the MPK49.

I do have the Akai and Akai Port 3 in two External inputs. Not sure what Akai Port 3 is, but figured I’d connect it and find out.

I have seen this identical behavior in other applications, like Logic, with other class-compliant, USB-powered controllers. The controller is recognized by the software but there is no MIDI reception until it is either turned off and then back on, or unplugged and re-plugged in. I suspect this is related to a problem in macOS/CoreMidi.

Could be, I haven’t tried it with any other software or event tested in AudioMIDI yet. Didn’t have this issue with QuNexus so seems more likely to be the hardware.

Delora Software
                Participant

I do have the Akai and Akai Port 3 in two External inputs. Not sure what Akai Port 3 is, but figured I’d connect it and find out.

That is not what I meant by multiple entries. I was interested whether you see a complete duplicate set of ports for the Akai in the port list. Usually when CoreMIDI does that you also see duplication in AudioMIDI Setup, with the duplicates grayed out.

Scott Miller
                  Participant

ah, no, that’s not the situation (which is why I didn’t understand the question, I suppose!).

Starting KymaConnect after keyboard booted did not work, still needed to reboot kbd. Have to try kbd boot up after system boot and then KymaConnect and see what happens, yet.

Delora Software
                    Participant

If KymaConnect is not seeing MIDI activity there is more than likely none. Best to verify though with MIDI Monitor.

Does the control have a power switch so you can turn it off and leave it plugged into USB? If so try switching it off before restarting you Mac, and switch it off before letting your Mac go into sleep mode. Give the Mac time to wake up, or start up, before switching it on.

As I mentioned I have experienced this type of USB MIDI issue a relatively recent model from a top brand. I have attributed the problem to the USB hub but it might do it even if I plugged it directly in the Mac. Turning its power switch off, then back on always brings MIDI back to life, and I never have the problem if I remember to switch it off before sleeping or shutting down the Mac.

Sounding more and more like a driver issue.

Delora Software
                      Participant

KymaConnect 2.0.0 has been release. Please see KymaConnect 2 is now available for details.

Questions, comments, suggestions, and bug reports for the production version should be posted on KymaConnect 2 Help. Beta-related discussions should be restricted to this thread.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.